Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ok..it's on

I'm going to do it. Do what? You ask. I'm going to do Ironman Hawaii. What the hell are you talking about? I'm going to do the race. I still don't understand? Ok...let me step back and provide some context. I'm a very average triathlete. I triangulated on this opinion by (1) having my V02 max tested..."the coach called me a "buckhead betty", (2) getting constantly smashed by my wife and her business partner Steph during training and (3) racing four Ironman races over the past three years and having a PR of only 12 hours and 19 minutes. But, right or wrong, I managed to get a slot to the Hawaii Ironman through a program called the Executive Challenge....twice. The first was at IMCDA and the second was last year at Ironman Arizona. While most people would jump at the chance to go to Kona, I was having doubts. First was the question about actually deserving to go (I don't and know one can convince me otherwise) and the second was the fact that I kinda suck in the heat. Actually, I really suck. When I did Kona the first time, I finished over ten pounds lighter and almost deaf. Now, second time around, I know not only how hard the race can be due to the conditions, I also know how much training I need to do to complete the event without ending up in the medical tent. But after several months of reflection, I have not only come to terms with having a slot (I didn't make the rules and a boycott won't change anything) and...I think I'm ready to make a commitment to the training. So, with that as background...I'm going to do the race. Training log and navel gazing ruminations to follow.

No comments: