Sunday, March 29, 2009

What a great ambassador


Before I say anything about my training, I have to pay tribute to our homestay xterra athlete - Renata Bucher. She's been with us for about a month and I can honestly say that I've never been associated with someone who has so much talent and so little ego. Now don't get me wrong, she's competitive as hell in the pool, on the bike and on the run but as soon as the racing is done, she morphs into the kindest, most gentle person you'd ever want to meet.

Kebby and I definitely got more out of the deal than we gave. In exchange for housing Renata and her boyfriend Jim, we got to see how a pro trains, pick up some great tips and bask in the reflective glory so to speak as Renata won two races while she was staying with us. The first was an xterra in panama and the second was the Super Frog here in San Diego. The amazing thing about the Super Frog was the fact that she signed up for the 70.3 distance on a whim and rode on a borrowed bike. And she won the elite division! We'll be sad to see her go but will enjoy following her as she races around the world.

As for my training, I'm fairly pleased. We've got Oceanside next weekend and I feel I'm reasonable prepared for that distance. After that, I need to dial up the swim distance big time though!

No comments: