Saturday, October 18, 2008

Built for Speed




Had a slightly below average week in terms of working out. Got in one run, one bike and one session in the weight room but took off Thursday and Friday.
Highlight of the week was seeing Chrissie Wellington speak at Coastal Sports on Friday night. I received an e-mail on Thursday afternoon from Coastal saying that Chrissie was going to be doing an interview with Bob Babbitt and that it was open to the public.

I went over right after work and met up with Kebby and our neighbor Stephanie. Chrissie walked in about 20 minutes early without much fuss. It didn't take more than one look to tell that she was "cut from different cloth" so to speak. She was taller than I expected, quite tan (especially for a Brit) and her legs looked like they were made of cold rolled steel! No kidding, her calves looked like they were going to explode off of her legs. Her arms were thin and muscular and her back was absolutely shredded.
She and Bob sat down in front of the crowd and went through a 20 minute interview. Have to say, she was very very impressive. While being humble and funny, there was no doubt that she was also quite confident of her abilities. Interesting enough, she said that she doesn't train with a power meter or a heart rate monitor. I'm sure the polar and srm reps were pretty disappointed to here that!

A positive for me was that the interview left me so motivated that I was able to drag my but out of bed today and actually get in a swim. Let's hope that I keep the momentum and get in a decent ride tomorrow.

No comments: