Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Be Careful Out there

Missed a brick workout this morning thanks to a fun night of holiday festivities with our neighbors. Managed to get to the gym in the evening and get in a decent core and weight session.

Big scare came after Kebby and I dropped off the dogs at Snug Pet Resort. We were about to turn right at a light when a cyclist ran a red light and got hit by a car. I saw the cyclist coming and then caught sight of the car out of the corner of my eye. The car must have been going about 40 to 45 mph and hit the front wheel of the bike. The cyclist was literally launched ten feet into the air and flipped multiple times before landing on his back.

We both got out of the car and ran to the middle of the intersection. While the scene was pretty bad, the biker was very very lucky. The car hit his front wheel not his body. He probably had some fractures but looked to be in reasonably good shape all things considered. I honestly thought he was going to be dead. When I got to him, all I could remember was "don't move the spine" and ABC. The A is for airway as in make sure it is unobstructed, the B is for Breathing and for the life me I couldn't remember what C stood for. I asked him if he could breathe and he said "yes". Then I said don't move. After that, I was pretty much useless. Four or five of us tended to him until a police car arrived followed a few minutes later by an ambulance.

After giving a statement to the police we watched him get loaded into the ambulance. The police said they would impound his bike.

There is no way I can really describe how incredible (in a bad way) the sight was or how it felt to have the adrenal glands absolutely unload. About an hour or so after the accident, I was starving and had a huge headache. I'm sure this is all some type of physiological response.

While I absolutely hate to have seen the whole thing, I am now committed to being as safe as I possibly can be when I'm out riding.

Off to Atlanta tomorrow for Christmas with the family. Happy Holidays!

No comments: