Sunday, December 14, 2008

Mahalo

Bit of a lag in posting but I hope to get back in the groove. I need to keep track of my workouts and it appears that the blog is probably the best recipe for success. I tried to create an excel file but would forget about it for a couple of days then try to remember the workouts. Since I regularly scan a couple of blogs each day, I hope I can remember to update mine when I'm done reading.

On a positive note, we just got back from a great training week in Kona today. Our friend Scott had a timeshare and set up the trip. Unfortunately, he had to back out due to work but Kebby and I still made the pilgrimage to the Mecca of triathlon. The main focus of the trip was training and we're pleased with the results considering it's still early in the season. It was great from a motivational perspective that we did the majority of our training on the Ironman course.

A couple of interesting points about the course were that (1) it is surprisingly (at least to me) hilly with rollers throughout and a five to six mile climb into Hawi that would really put a hurt on you if you pushed to hard and (2) the hills were very deceptive. At least twice on what looked like downhills, my speed dropped and I was sure that I had a flat. It was only when I stopped and checked did I realize that what looked like a decent was actually a three or four percent climb.

I'm especially sold on the concept of training camps now. We planned two or three workouts each day and scheduled everything else around the training. We did four rides of eight, 25, 50 and 60 miles during the week and got in a three and a six mile run along with four swims and four weight sessions. I'm definitely not in Ironman shape yet since the 60 miler put me out of commission for the rest of that day and half of the next. But I consider the week to be the first deposit in the bank and hope to carry the momentum into the holidays and early January.

No comments: